We are the clay, you are the potter; we are all the work of your hand. ~Isaiah 64:8



Friday, March 21, 2008

Sitting Shiva for Jesus

Today, I sat shiva for Jesus.

We opened our home to friends and strangers for a Stations of the Cross for children. At each station was lovely art, a short devotional, and an object lesson. (I'll share details and photos after Easter.)

Truthfully, I wasn't sure how it would be received. But, after my children and I went through the Stations just prior to our first guests, I realized the impression it all made. Truly, it was the Lord's doing.

The house was hushed with just the whispering of parents and children, and in the background thoughtful, gentle, choral music played. What a blessing to see families gathered so closely around the stations- many of them kneeling or sitting in conversation and thought. The kids were engrossed, as were the parents.

I didn't know that it would feel so much like a funeral vigil, but it did. Among Jews, it is a custom to "sit shiva" when a close family member dies. The mourners quietly recieve visitors, who come to just sit - not necessarily to socialize. After the first session ended and our family returned to our normal noise level, I realized how purposeful the earlier silence felt. It was then that it occurred to me that we were sitting shiva for Jesus.

And it felt right.

3 comments:

Amy said...

How moving...

Bronwen said...

Looking forward to the details after Easter!
Sounds like something I'd have liked to have taken part in with my family....
We had a reflective "Walk of witness" around our village followed by the children building the Easter garden for Sunday.

DebD said...

There's something very moving about silence - especially this weekend of all times.

Joyous Easter to you and yours