We are the clay, you are the potter; we are all the work of your hand. ~Isaiah 64:8



Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Worth

Have you heard of choosing a "word of the year"?  I think I'd had the idea floated past me sometime in the past year or two, but a few bloggers that I read regularly recently posted about choosing their word of the year and I thought it sounded like a wise idea.

The idea, or at least the way I'm using the idea, is to select a word that you will meditate and ponder and seek God's wisdom about.  How can you live out that word?  How do you need to learn to be that word?  How can you believe that word?

I prayed about it and contemplated what word might be meaningful.  What word I needed to learn by heart.  And the word that came to me was "Worth".   Mostly that I need to learn my own worth - my worthiness before God and man.  But I also need to recognize the ways I'm not living in a way worthy of God.



For all its worth.  

Worth its weight in gold.  

A picture is worth a thousand words.




Here's the first little nugget I got today from my bible reading:

Proverbs 6:12-14   A worthless person, a wicked man, is the one who walks with a perverse mouth, who winks with his eyes, who signals with his feet, who points with his fingers; who with perversity in his heart continually devises evil, who spreads strife.

That's a lot to ponder right there.




Are you interested in choosing a word for 2011?  Here are some posts by other bloggers to give you more ideas. . .

Ali Edwards seems to have been the originator of this idea, at least as far as the blogosphere goes.  I do find it hard to believe that in all the history of mankind it hasn't been done by others before, so if you've heard of this from some a Church Father, I wouldn't be surprised.

Christine Kane takes a look at how a word of the year makes a much better resolution than a resolution.

I'm going to steal The Thinking Mother's idea and make my own Word of the Year mug.

If you have or decide to choose a word of the year, please leave a comment!

No comments: