We are the clay, you are the potter; we are all the work of your hand. ~Isaiah 64:8



Monday, April 12, 2010

Daybook - Monday, April 12th

outside my window . . . I think we've traded weather with California (specifically the Santa Rosa area): upper 70s-80s during the day, 40s at night.  I'm hoping CA will let us keep their weather for all of summer.

in the kitchen . . . a batch of Artisan bread is in the plan for today.  Maybe two because my dough is getting a little old and I need to use it up.  We are all enjoying our feasting!  Bring on the meat!  And cheese!  And milk!  And butter!

around the house . . . packing has slowed down while we do some painting.  2 rooms completed, 1 in the midst, and 9 more to go (that number includes hallways).

thinking about . . . factionalism in politics and the affect it is having on our representative democracy.  Great article in First Things.

~~~

listening to. . .  my morning NPR news, just about to switch to the local classical music station WDAV.

thankful for. . . a new workout schedule with hubby (and whatever kids want to join us).  Of course this is not just a new schedule, but an entirely new habit.

pondering the words . . . "a number of citizens, whether amounting to a minority or majority of the whole, who are united and actuated by some common impulse of passion, or of interest, adverse to the rights of other citizens, or to the permanent and aggregate interests of the community," is the definition James Madison gives of a faction.

reading . . . slowly through my new First Things magazine, still slogging through Divine Comedy here and there, looking for a good church father reading for Easter season - any recommendations (Amy - what is it that you are reading - I'm coming over to your blog to check!)

remembering . . .  to think the best of people even when I'm afraid they've done the worst.

noticing . . . that the green in my yard is much more weed than grass.  But after the last few summers of drought, I'll take anything green.

~~~

to foster rhythm and beauty . . . waking the children for morning bible reading.

to live the liturgy . . .  white ribbons on the family altar, thinking about being a Christian person not just a Christ-inspired person.

to educate faithfully . . .  still hitting math and language arts each day during this busy season of household projects (packing and painting, etc) in preparation for our move.

~~~

one of my favorite things . . .  a good paintbrush

milestones in the past week . . .  Baby L is trying so hard to learn to jump.  I love that funny little toddler jump - they put so much effort into it, yet can't quite leave the ground.

a few plans for the upcoming week . . .  Mock trial practice for eldest son today with last day of Challenge B (Classical Conversations) Wednesday,  chapter meeting of Daughters of the Holy Cross (I'm becoming a daughter this month!),  painting, painting, painting, and getting a few estimates for painting our 2-story foyer and stairwell.

4 comments:

Amy said...

Hi Kerry! You're amazing to be looking for reading in the midst of packing and the busyness of life. Perhaps that is what keeps us sane! I'll have to post soon about my Easter reading. I'm really enjoying The Resurrection Letters of St. Athanasius (edited by Jack N. Sparks). When studying the church year, you always read "... began as a practice in 300s," so I'm loving reading about the beginnings of Lent and Easter first-hand. They read much like Paul's epistles. I found my copy at our church library so not sure how easy it is to get but I highly recommend it!

Kerry said...

My reading time is shortened quite a bit, but it does keep me sane!

Thanks for the info on your reading. I'm going to check Christian Classics Ethereal Library online...I might be able to find some of the letters there to download.

Jessica said...

Kerry, I don't know if you have a post you could point me to, but I'd be interested in reading more about your family altar. Is it like an Orthodox icon corner? Or just a place where you put reminders of the season, to direct your thoughts during the day?

Kerry said...

Jessica - I've been asked and have planned to post about our family altar for a LONG time. Maybe it is time, huh?

It is just a shelf one which I display a candle, a cross, bible and an icon for the season or feast day. We use ribbons coordinate to the church season, too.

Maybe I'll spend some time today putting together that post. In the meantime, I'll email you a photo.