We are the clay, you are the potter; we are all the work of your hand. ~Isaiah 64:8



Monday, April 26, 2010

Daybook - Monday, April 26th

outside my window . . . an embarrassingly shaggy lawn.

in the kitchen . . . dishes piled in the sink left from the weekend.  I dislike starting Monday with dishes in the sink.  It just makes me feel behind already.

around the house . . . boxes piled beside the front door waiting transport to the storage unit.  Daughter's room with slashes of new color on the walls.  Both projects stalled last week and need to be re-started.  And laundry.

on my iPod . . .  lots of wonderful things which cannot be enjoyed because my silly calico cat enjoyed an ear-bud cord snack a couple of nights ago.  This is the second pair she's mangled.  The first time it was my fault for leaving them out...this time is was my eldest son's!  Guess who owes mom some money?  It is very odd - she can't seem to resist Apple's white cord coating.  She's also chewed up one iPod power cord.

from our studies . . . we are sticking with our "basics" right now, the three R's.  Oldest son has his Mock Trial competition on Tuesday...and then his Challenge B program is over for the year.  We'll do school for a few more weeks until our upcoming beach vacation!

thinking about . . . living in the country near good friends with a community playground, pool, and garden.  Working together on ministry projects and sharing life.  Doesn't that sound like a good life?

listening to. . . my morning NPR - something about derivatives.

thankful for. . . a Sunday afternoon spent with dear friends in good conversation while repelling children from second helpings of cupcakes.  And, particularly, a friend who is more like family - to the point of not being overly concerned about dirty dishes in the sink or clothes to be folded when there is an opportunity for fellowship.

pondering the words . . . "Try a simple experiment.  Take a small child on your knee.  Respect him.  Do not see him as something to prune, form, or mold.  This is an individual who things, acts, and feels.  He is a separate human being whose strength lies in who he is, not in who he will become. ... We are told by many in our generation that this small child is a cog in a machine, or even that he is a possession, like a pet animal.... We must answer: No.  You are holding a person on your knee and that is wonderful."   -- Susan Schaeffer Macaulay in her book about Charlotte Mason's educational philosophy, For the Children's Sake.

reading . . . When Children Love to Learn by Elaine Cooper (again)

remembering . . . last year being Baby L's first spring.  So many "firsts": first month home, first flowers, first meeting of friends and family.

~~~

to educate faithfully . . .  an awful sinus/ear issue last week really knocked me off my game.  I'm feeling better and hope this week will have better luck with the faithful part of our educational plan.  I think last week I would have said we were educating accidentally.  Back to our trimmed down study of the basics - but feel about ready to get back to the rich stuff....books, poetry, art, history, etc.

one of my favorite things . . . my new Order of the Daughters of the Holy Cross pin/pendant.

milestones in the past week . . . yesterday Baby L went, on her own initiative, to one of her godmothers during church!  Auntie B had a quiet and welcoming lap, just what Baby L needed.

a few plans for the upcoming week . . .   Hoping for a coffee date with a couple dear friends.  Might go to a US Naval Academy presentation for eldest son (he's entering high school and hopes to go to USNA or AF Academy after graduation).  Possibly attending a local event for some good Ghanaian culture Tuesday morning.  Mock Trial competition Tuesday evening (pray for his nerves if you are so inclined!  They are having the trial before a federal judge!).  Mother-in-Law coming to visit for her birthday and we are taking her to Biltmore House's "Homeschool Days".  Eldest son has a youth retreat this weekend.  And on Sunday I've got a relaxing "Twilight Tea Party" to attend.  Will it really be May by the end of this week?  Why yes, it will.

a picture thought I'm sharing . . .


















the creek on a piece of property we are considering purchasing for a new home.

6 comments:

DebD said...

oh I love idea of a creek on your property. I always wanted that.

amy said...

Enjoyed reading your post...especially this:

"And, particularly, a friend who is more like family - to the point of not being overly concerned about dirty dishes in the sink or clothes to be folded when there is an opportunity for fellowship."

God sure does bless us through friends such as this.

Also, glad you are feeling better; I can sympathize. I've had the same thing! The allergy/sinus/crud has been especially bad this spring.

peace

Brandy Afterthoughts said...

Wow. A creek. I am happy for you!

Anonymous said...

K, I've read When the Children Love to Learn this past month. It was a re-read for me as well. This book inspired me like no other. Enjoy your reading!

Julia

Kerry said...

Julia (from ClassEd, I presume) - You are the reason I pulled this back out! I read your post on history the CM way and thought, "Gee, I need to read that again." :) Thank you for the inspiration!

TAA said...

The creek is so lovely. It looks peaceful and beautiful.
Thank you for sharing.